Foreign staff

Any Belgian employer who want to hire a foreign worker must apply for an employer permit (arbeidsvergunning / autorisation d'occupation) and a type-B work permitExternal link (arbeidskaart / permis de travail) (unless the worker already holds a type A or type C work permit). Once the employer permit has been granted, the foreign national can use it to apply for a visa.

These procedures do not apply to citizens of the European Union nor to citizens of the countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, who – subject to certain restrictions – can work freely throughout the European UnionExternal link.

You can find more information about employing foreign workersExternal link on the website of the FPS Employment, Labour and Social Dialogue.